Summer is almost over and that means that the best crochet-time of the year is just about to start. Of course I have been busy during the summer break of this blog and of course I made some plans what to post once it would be over. And of course I changed all of them when one of you asked me on my youtube channel to design a special amigurumi for her. She was searching for a toothless pattern in German. Of course I know that there are some really beautiful crochet night furys out there, so I thought about asking a fellow designer wether I could translate the pattern for my German reader. But then suddenly I was fond of the idea of doing a toothless pattern myself. As usual, I wanted it to be as simple as possible, but the I realized that I had to do quite a lot of pieces. This is why I publish the pattern as a crochet along starting today with the head.
As my reader told me that she wanted to crochet the dragon for her grand son, I wanted to take the opportunity to post a word about toy safety. Usually I design my patterns in a way that makes them safe for children to play with. But of course you must choose the materials yourself. So please be careful and ask wether the yarn you want to buy is safe for toy-making. I recommend the cotton yarn “bio cotton” by Mondial or the cotton yarn “affection” by Three Bears yarn for toy making. Also the soft filling “Superflausch” is safe for toy making. You can do this pattern with felt eyes or with crocheted eyes. As I do not know a felt fabric which is safe for toys, I recommend to do the crocheted version, especially for small children.
Here’s wat you need for the whole dragon:
Black yarn (about 350m in total) -[Yarn, which you can use if you want to use your finished amigurumi as decoration item: http://amzn.to/2xuPAP2 (affiliate link to Amazon), yarn which you can use for toy making (“Cotton Affection”) can be found here: http://www.threebearsyarn.co.uk/#_l_20 (affiliate link to Three Bears Yarn)]
Slightly too small crochet hook – [I like to work with these hooks: http://amzn.to/2iEodhY (affiliate link to amazon)]
Soft filling – [Filling you can use for decoration items and for toys: http://amzn.to/2vp2NeK (affiliate link to amazon)]
Green, black and white felt or yarn which is a bit lighter than the yarn you use for the body and a hook which is smaller than the one used for the body.
optional: Instead of sewing the arms and legs on, you can also use safety joints – [You find those items here: http://amzn.to/2xK66d0 (affiliate link to amazon)]
sc – single crochet
Here we go with the
- R: 6 chain stitches
- R: increase, 3 sc, 4 sc into next stitch, 3 sc, increase (14 sc)
- R: 2 increase, 3 sc, 2 increase, 7 sc (18 sc)
- R: sc, increase, sc, increase, 4 sc, increase, sc, increase, 7 sc (22 sc)
- R: 2 sc, increase, 2 sc, increase, 4 sc, increase, 2 sc, increase, 8 sc (26 sc)
- R: 3 sc, increase, 3 sc, increase, 5 sc, increase, 3 sc, increase, 8 sc (30 sc)
- R: 4 sc, 3 sc into next stitch, 4 sc, increase, 5 sc, increase, 4 sc, 3 sc into next stitch, 9 sc (36 sc)
- R: 5 sc, 3 sc into next stitch, 6 sc, increase, 5 sc, increase, 6 sc, 3 sc into next stitch, 10 sc (42 sc)
- R: 15 sc, increase, 5 sc, increase, 20 sc (44 sc)
- R: 16 sc, increase, 5 sc, increase, 21 sc (46 sc)
- R: 17 sc, increase, 5 sc, increase, 22 sc (48 sc)
- – 20. R: 48 sc
- R: [6 sc, decrease] 6x (42 sc)
- R: [5 sc, decrease] 6x (36 sc)
- R: [4 sc, decrease] 6x (30 sc)
- R: [3 sc, decrease] 6x (24 sc)
- R: [2 sc, decrease] 6x (18 sc)
- R: [sc, decrease] 6x (12 sc)
- R: 6 increase
Cut yarn and sew up the end.
You find a video-tutorial which is suitable for beginners here:
In the next part of this CAL, I show you how to do the ears and horns.
You may sell any product made with the help of this pattern, but please don’t copy and share it. You may of course link it to your blog or social media. When selling products you made from it or linking it, please name this blog as source. Apart from that, I will be more than happy to see your results on my facebook-page,or if you tag me (@Flausch_Einhorn) on Twitter or Instagram.